Sunday, 10 June 2012

Jubilee Celebrations...

We had a brilliant day yesterday. The Grandparents' road had a street party - a week later than most but I'm so glad it was yesterday as the day was absolutely gorgeous....sunny and warm with poofy clouds in a blue sky.

There was a bouncy castle which Bucket jnr hardly ever left; loads of food; miles of bunting and lots of competitions for everyone to have a go at.

I grabbed a load of food (it was lunchtime) and then Grandma said "don't forget that we've got food too". My aching stomach, but it was my own fault - I had that stuffed feeling that you generally only get at Christmas.

Bucket jnr and Miss Bucket entered the scooter races. Bucket jnr raced off and won his - he has a great gold medal that he likes to show off. Miss Bucket came second (she was robbed by a younger scooter who didn't go round the cone properly - a protective mum, who me???) and she loves her silver medal as she thinks the gold and bronze look too much alike and hers looks better.
Bucket jnr's medal

There were plank races as well, I didn't do this but had a great laugh at those that did enter.
 There was also egg throwing. Miss Bucket and I did this at a previous street party and we didn't do too badly but I thought that I'd watch this time instead, mainly because I didn't take a change of clothing with me.

Oh and I can't forget about the welly wanging. For those that haven't a clue what this throw a welly as far as you can and the one who throws furthest wins. The kids heat was fun and really sweet, both my two went in for this. Bucket jnr wound his arm up so many times that people started to count - he did eventually let go.

But it was the adult one that is always the funniest as people try to throw as hard as they can and it gets into a really big competition, especially between the men and those wellies are very unpredictable. I had to run out the way once or twice, a gutter was hit, a table full of glasses went flying and a few people were bopped when they got in the way.

More food was eaten, there was a kids and adult quiz (didn't do too badly at either) and then the bbq's came out.

I had to leave about 9.30pm as Bucket jnr said his feet hurt and he looked really tired all of a sudden so we left everyone to their dancing and went home.

On a side note, I've got to say that Bucket jnr is the most sociable person I know. He was in and out of gardens and houses and this is a street that we only visit, hardly see anyone most of the time and don't really know anyone's name. But he was everywhere and after talking to some nice ladies on the street, we came home with a rocking chair and footstool. I wasn't really looking for one but that is what I came home with, it's a good job I have a big car (old people carrier type that sounds like a tank). I don't think many people can say they went to a party and came home with furniture.

Now I've just got to find somewhere to put it....did I ever mention that the rooms in my house are small and my family has a tendency to collect things (lots and lots of things), I'm forever clearing clutter and stuff out. Sam xx


  1. Hi Sam,
    I just joined your blog today. Sounds like you had a great weekend!
    Come visit my blog if you'd like:

    1. Hi Kate, thanks for joining. Just looked at your blog (whilst drinking my first coffee - have to have my coffee too) and your blankets are lovely. Love the photos too. Sam